Saturday, February 28, 2009

yOgA sOuP


When I was a freshman in college, i worked at a gym and had a trainer. While working out with him one day, my knee popped out and I basically ruptured my bursa (which is the fluid sac under your kneecap), pulled most of ligaments and tendons in my leg, atrophied my leg, tore something in my kneecap and basically completely screwed up my knee. I was on bed rest for 2 weeks and on crutches for months. After all this time, the doctor recommended intensive rehab and staying off my leg. Instead, I didn't listen to doctors orders, and instead started taking regular pilates, yoga, and yoglates (yes its a real word! its yoga and Pilates combo class) at the gym I worked at. In a couple of weeks, I was able to ditch the crutches, I never had surgery, and I have yet to stand in a physical therapists office.

When I moved to Santa Barbara, I had to stop working at the gym, and with it, I stopped taking regular pilates and yoga classes. However, my knee is still weak, so I am not able to run like I used to be able to. When I began to think of more explorations that I could do, I realized how much I missed taking yoga. I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to get back into taking yoga classes and working on my body outside of the gym. I looked up classes online, found one that fit in with my skill level and time outside of school, and signed up. I also made the decision to try just one class (pay a one time drop in fee) to see if I like the studio, rather than buying a package of classes.

On the day of class, I dressed in yoga pants and a loose tshirt and brought a water. I took a one hour class, that focused on breathing, stretching, as well as strength building and core muscles. Although I went for a workout, I found myself feeling incredibly relaxed and focused as I left class. I was breathing at a steady pace, and I was no where near as stressed as I was when I walked in. Yoga has this incredible way of clearing ones' mind and relaxing your entire body. I had completely forgot how helpful it was in school and dealing with everyday stresses. Now, even if I can not make it to the studio, the breathing techniques and small exercises calm me down when I am over stressed from daily chaos. Through this experience, I learned that, as a student, we are incredibly busy. Between late night studying (and partying...), college students are always sick and stressed. While we are torn between having fun and being responsible adults, sleep is usually at the loosing end of the battle. Therefore, it was important to take time out of my day to focus on something that not only benefits my physical health, but my mental health (for lack of a better phrase) as well.


How it is mediated outside of my blog...

www.facebook.com/people/Yoga-Soup/1652502976



AND they even have their own blog!!!!
If you want to visit...
http://www.yogasoup.com/

Yoga Soup
28 Parker Way
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Phone: 805-965-8811
General info.
email:
soup@yogasoup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment