Sunday, March 15, 2009

Places to Study in Santa Barbara


Since a majority of students' time is devoted to attending class, writing papers, taking tests, and completing projects, I also wanted to explore places in Santa Barbara where students could study in a relaxing environment. I was starting to realize that I spent a majority of my time in bed studying. While I was comfortable and could get things done in the comfort of my bed and home, when I went to go to sleep, I couldn't fall asleep because I had spent my day studying in bed. Furthermore, I couldn't study and think in the same place that I need to relax and fall asleep. Therefore, I needed to find a new place...



I had driven past the Mission of Santa Barbara in the past, and noticed that there was a huge grassy area where there were people sleeping, having a picnic, and reading, so this is the first place that I went to. Although this space was very relaxing and quiet, I would bring a towel or blanket to lay on. Before I pulled mine out, I realized there was no way I could have laid on the grass (it was so cold it felt damp!). I also would recommend bringing a small snack or a drink, especially if you are planning on reading for a long time (there are not any food/drinks within walking distance). The space was a perfect place to study, however the sun was so warm, all I wanted to do was nap!







Starbucks in Goleta (next to Borders in Camino Real)


While I go to this Starbucks at least once a week to grab a latte, I have never sat down and studied there. I always see students studying on the tables throughout space, usually with their ipods, computers, and books scattered around them. After Alyssa brought in her posters with the sound, I wanted to test this theory and figure out how everyone can study there when it is so loud! I went to Starbucks with my laptop and books, and brought my ipod just in case. I quickly realized that not only could I hear the noise from Starbucks over ipod music, but I had stopped studying and now was 'people watching'. I vote that Starbucks is NOT a good place to study.





Other recommendations from friends:


The Coffee Cat downtown off State Street




thanks to:


carto.net


santabarbara.com









No comments:

Post a Comment